Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Can a pilot wear spec.? What's visual acuity?

Few days back I went for a small gathering. It comes to my concern of...

"Are you sure that a person who wears spec. can become a pilot?"

This question has actually been many aspiring pilots' worry.

Well, I'm not so sure about the PAST. What I know is PRESENT.

A pilot can wear a spec.. I remember those days when I was having no clues about how to become a pilot, it's one of my worries as well. I'm not a perfect fellow. I do have short sighted. Though power is less than 150. That time I was doubted. Shall I wear the spec. to correct back my vision ? Shall I do LASIK to get back the perfect vision? Shall I just leave it like that? Though my power for both eyes aren't that high. But it did make me worried before for... what if I need to wear spec.? Will they fail me because i'm wearing the spec.? Will they fail me because i don't have a perfect eyesight? All these questions came to my brain and kept wondered round and round.

Well, If YOU, A PILOT WANNA BE, facing the same like me, then i can say...STOP Worrying for it.

Aviation has aviation law. For the safety purpose, we need to meet it fundamental requirements. You can basically get the info. from AIC to understand what will be checked during medical check up, what's the min. requirement, where to do the check up,... & etc.

Back to the topic. For eyesight,
VISUAL ACUITY
class 1:
AT LEAST 6/9 IN EACH EYE SEPARATELY, & 6/6 WITH OR WITHOUT CORRECTION WITH BOTH EYES.
class 2:
AT LEAST 6/1 2 IN EACH EYE SEPARATELY, & 6/9 WITH OR WITHOUT CORRECTION WITH BOTH EYES.
class3:
AT LEAST 6/9 IN EACH EYE SEPARATELY, & 6/6 WITH OR WITHOUT CORRECTION WITH BOTH EYES

Wondering what is "visual acuity" , what is "6/9" , "6/6"...?
Here is the link for you to understand it.

In short, you can still be a pilot as long as after you correcting your vision with spec., your vision acuity can back to 6/6. It's just like a person who has short sighted, thereafter wearing a spec., he/she can see the wording/objects clearly. As simple as that.

If you're still worried your eyes power are too high, you may consider to do LASIK or contact aviation panel doctor about this. This is the panel doctor that i did my medical check up. If you need the whole list of the panel doctors in Malaysia which suit your location, email to me and i will send it to you.

DR.KEE PENG LEONG
DRS. YOUNG, NEWTON & PARTNERS
48, JALAN 52/4
46200 PETALING JAYA
SELANGOR
03-79569400 (Tel)
03-79562553 (Fax)

Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Omg...
    Now I only know Pilot can wear spec liao...=.=''

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) it does have some pilots wearing spec. even in the airlines. No worries for this thing.
    Some even did the LASIK first. As long as it's stable down, this LASIK is also a safe way to reduce the eyes power. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. but I thought Lasik is prohibited for pilots?
    because it might have negative effects??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of side effect from LASIK other than it takes time to stable down. (say 1st ya, I'm not so sure for it. Maybe i lack of LASIK info.)
    Anyway, From the examples i've seen,
    1 did the LASIK 1st, then without telling the panel doctor, he got the CLASS 1 medical.
    1 got the CLASS 1 medical then when to do LASIK. Dr. knows about it. But didn't really comment much.
    1 did LASIK, Dr. comments that it takes 1 year to stable down. But at the same time there's no harm to on going for flight training except airline training.
    These are the 3 examples I came across with and they're doing piloting.
    Myself asked the LASIK doctor in the past, the Dr. only said out the different in doing the LASIK for age before 21 and age after 21 for its stability. =)

    ReplyDelete